Week 16

This Friday we had a day full of small miracles. After lunch, we had planned to contact a block near that house. Because it was rainy all day, more people were in their house. Rain level really affects activity level here, and it rains a ton during the winter. We started contacting and knocked a house and a man came out. We came up with the idea to change our contacting method a little and start trying to share a scripture of Christ in just 2 minutes and then go from there. This guy said sure, so we shared with him and asked if he would be interested in learning more another day. He told us yes. We could probably have entered then and shared something more, but it didn't feel right. After that contact my companion said that maybe there was someone else on the block we needed to talk too.

We continued until we literally did get to the last house on the street, The lady that answered invited us in to share our short message with her and her husband, so we shared Alma 7:11-13. She really seemed to be touched by the scripture and as we began to talk more we learned that the house we were in was the house of her son who had passed away about a month ago. He always used to talk with the missionaries. When she saw us walk by earlier, she said she knew we were going to come and knock on her door. We did just that. We testified of eternal families and invited them to learn more. They live outside of our mission, but we'll pass on the reference. I don't know what will become of them, but I learned something valuable. That we're doing the Lord's work and we're his instruments. As well, this helped me re-solidify that families really are eternal and my testimony grew even more as the Spirit bore witness of this.

We left her house and stopped to decide what we wanted to do next. We had planned to visit a lot of people, but were running a little short on time. We chose our path and continued. We ended up being able to talk with 3 of the 4 people we had planned to stop by, and caught two of them just minutes before they were leaving. The timing was just perfect that day. 

On Saturday, I turned 20! We had a meeting at 10:00 am that morning at the stake center, so we went there and it wasn't a meeting but rather a surprise party for me! I had no clue, and got hit with 3 cans of spray paint. We didn't have super long, but we ate cake, took pictures and enjoyed the company for a bit. I'm super grateful for my district and the other missionaries and their love. The rest of that day was pretty normal, all though the bishop's wife did give me a little tub of manjar to enjoy.

On Sunday, my companion and I both gave talks of about 10 minutes each, and we sang a musical number in Sacrament meeting with the sisters from the other ward that meets in our chapel. I spoke on Charity and of course inviting the members to show their charity and share the Gospel. We sang the hymn Venid a Mi. It went well.

After church, we went to a members house for lunch and they had invited the other elders from another ward to join too. It was another party for me! We ate lunch and had more cake! This family always has their house all decorated for whatever holiday it is, and right now it is all green for St. Patrick's Day!! They are so nice and it was so sweet of them to do that for me. He even gave me a very nice pen to write in my agenda with, which is great because my other pen is almost out of ink! My birthday wasn't forgotten, and I am grateful for everything the people did here for me to make it special.

We had another different contact yesterday. Probably the best contact in the history of missionaries! Not quite, but I won't forget it. The lady gave us a bag of empanadas after we had talked with her and gotten her phone number! That was unexpected, but awesome. Contacts normally do not go like that...

Everyday we are working, even though it is not always easy or we can't see the reason why. We all need to do this, no matter what stage of life we're in. Exercixe faith, and the blessings always come.

I hope everyone has a great week!

Love,

Elder Brighton










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11-11-19

10-21-19

Week 40