3 weeks in one

Sorry everyone! I have had some trouble posting the letters but I think it is fixed now.  Hopefully you can read the last three letters in this blog.

5/20/19
What a week it has been! 

Last Sunday a man showed up to the chapel on his own. A member here owns a hair cutting place and he went there to get a cut and during the conversation she invited him to come to church- and he came! We didn't recognize him so I introduced myself and sat with him during the meeting. He (Ricardo) stayed for the second hour of classes as well. Afterwards, we talked a little more and set up a time to get together the next evening. He showed up and we began to talk with him. He told us he is searching for where he needs to be. Trying to find God. He has so many good desires, and everything he wants to know are things we teach! We taught him the Restoration that night and he accepted a baptismal date for the 8 of June! We had another lesson with him on Wednesday night in the house of a member and taught him the Plan of Salvation. He is so accepting and has so many desires to learn and progress. He is very receptive to new ideas and wants to read and learn. We had another lesson on Friday and went over the last two lessons and explained better about the Book of Mormon. He came to the baptismal service on Saturday, and church again on Sunday! We are so excited to keep teaching him and help him progress. God really put him in our path to be able to teach and help him. It shows me the importance of the members and how much they can do. Just a simple conversation and invitation leads to miracles like this!!
As I mentioned, we had a baptism on Saturday! Byron got baptized and confirmed this weekend. He had his interview on Wednesday night and passed without any problems. He is super intelligent and understands and has a testimony of the things we taught. We were able to talk more with his mom this week and she also came to the baptism with her sister (Byron's aunt). She really liked it and as she was leaving she said, "Maybe I'll have to come get baptized here some time. I've never been baptized." How great is that! More work for us to do! We'll be trying our best to find more time to meet with her and teach her!
On Thursday we were supposed to catch a flight at 8:36 in the morning so we were at the airport a little after 7. The flight got delayed because of fog in Balmaceda (the airport for Coyhaique). Then it got delayed again, again, and again until finally it was canceled. That meant we were in the airport for 8 hours that day getting to practice our patience! I was able to catch up on a lot of things I needed to do though so I am glad I got to use that time well. I also found myself sitting next to a couple of guys speaking English so I struck up a conversation with them and turns out they´re from the Great State of Texas! San Antonio. It was really fun to share with them a little about the Gospel, even though it was a little tricky to do it in English. They invited me to meditate during the conversation too. So later I did it. I can't say I really know how to do it, but just taking a couple of minutes to clear the mind was a very relaxing and calming experience. I'd recommend it.
The missed flight was a disappointment for sure because in the end we did not get to go to Coyhaique, but I think it was a blessing in disguise. We were able to plan the baptism better and work out some details that we might not have been able to do otherwise. In the end- it was a success!! God knows what He is doing- it is His work.
Love you all.
Elder Brighton
5/13/19
This week we had a couple of intercambios. We were able to work really well and see success in both sectors that we worked in, one in Valdivia, and the other, our sector. In Valdivia I worked with Elder Becerra who is from Colombia. We had a very well planned evening and visited a member, a recent convert, and had a Family Home Evening with a persona en enseñaza and a young couple. It was a really good lesson. To finish the night we made daily contact with someone else they are teaching and passed by to saludar a member, asking that they do something small to help the missionary work.
In our sector, we are preparing Byron for his baptism this Saturday. His friend Vicente, a recent convert, helps us a lot in our lessons. They are both 10 years old and very intelligent.
We were able to get together again with Mirta after a couple of weeks of not seeing her. She is doing well and continues excited to progress in the Gospel. She accepted the goal of preparing herself for baptism on June 8th.
We also found various new people to teach, including a handful of people from Haiti. They love to talk about God and learn more.
We have a very busy upcoming week and we're excited to work hard and see progress here! Hopefully you all are progressing well at home!
Love you
Elder Brighton
5/6/19
Hey there :)
This week we had a whirlwind of Elders pass through our hands and I learned a lot. On Monday night I worked with Elder Hatch for a little bit. He is from Fruit Heights, Utah. I met him while I was in Punta Arenas and he was recently starting his mission. Anyways, we visited Felipe, a young guy we found last week and we taught him super simply and quickly reading from 3 Nephi chapter 11. We explained to him how God knows us individually and wants us to have personal spiritual experiences with Him. 
15 And it came to pass that the multitude went forth, and thrust their hands into his side, and did feel the prints of the nails in his hands and in his feet; and this they did do, going forth one by one until they had all gone forth, and did see with their eyes and did feel with their hands, and did know of a surety and did bear record, that it was he, of whom it was written by the prophets, that should come.
I love this verse from the Book of Mormon because it explains that simple truth, that Jesus wants us to come unto Him, going forth one by one.
After, we stopped by Leslie, a younger women who the Elders were teaching before but I had never taught before. We were not able to go inside, but she agreed to listening to something short on the front porch. We taught her the Restoration, and we were able to share with her the First Vision of Joseph Smith. I just loved how simply we were able to teach both of these people back-to-back that night. I love teaching simply.
On Tuesday we had our Zone Conference here in Osorno. I talked about the importance of stressing and working with the peoples baptismal date once they have one. Sometimes we are so excited to have that number, that we forget to help the person prepare for that date. I think my talk turned out well, and I will have numerous other opportunities to share it this cambio. We also practiced reciting the First Vision during the conference and it reminded me of everything I learned and did in the CCM (MTC). I am so grateful for that vision, and the knowledge that I have of it!
We found a new Haitian man to teach this week, and had contact with another after quite a while of not talking to him. I hope we can help them progress more.
It'll be a very busy week here, and honestly a very busy month, cambio, and next month. We are starting to get things ready for the next president, while still having to do the many other things we do normally! Yesterday we had the privilege of talking to President Meek for a little bit. Just hearing his voice a little made me really excited! Also very sad to think that President Isom will be leaving soon. He truly has made a huge impact on my life. God calls his servants and puts them where He needs them.
I hope you all have a great week and are constantly looking for small things to improve in your lives and ways to grow your faith.
Lots of love,
Elder Brighton

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11-11-19

10-21-19

Week 40