Week 1

 The Beginning

Hello all! 

This week has been crazy, feels like it has already been forever, but we have made it through one week. I'm already learning so much and feeling the spirit everyday. It was a long flight from Dallas here to Santiago, but I was able to sleep a little and it was fun to experience being fed on an airplane. There was one other Elder on my plane with me, and we met up at baggage claim. He is from Arizona and is now my companion, Elder Arnett. There are 8 missionaries in my district, 6 Elders and 2 Hermanas. I was asked to be District Leader and with that comes a lot of responsibility. Leading introductions numerous times a day, being a constant example of obedience, and so on. 

The MTC (Missionary Training Center) is unique here in that we are literally living on Temple grounds. We live in the Hospedaje which is directly behind the temple. Our bedroom (Which we share with two sets of Latino missionaries) window gives a beautiful view of the temple and the grounds. Because the area is so small, we are allowed to leave the boundaries on P days and everyday during exercise hour to run around if we want to. There is a large park not too far from us. The people here are very active and there are always lots of people there. We live near a university, so on Sunday the road is basically unused by cars and there is a constant flow of people on bikes, walking dogs, running, etc. Yesterday my companion and I went for a run and we saw three green parrot/ parakeet type birds. There are also the normal birds we have back home like pigeons, sparrows but with a little Chilean twist on there looks.

This Sunday was fast Sunday and we got the chance to fast and bear our testimonies. I shared mine in all Spanish. It is crazy how much I already know and am able to supplicate my knowledge with the gospel Language I am learning here. We are already teaching mock investigators and I am able to understand what they say and with work, planning, and preparation I am able to reply back to them. We've committed them to reading the scriptures already. Sunday night we sang hymns in Spanish. Every missionary chose their favorite and we sang them all, about 90 minutes. I love hymns and the spirit they always bring. Even in a different language they are familiar and bring waves of emotions. It is hard to be away from home, but we can pray for comfort and help.

A huge theme is forgetting yourself. We've had many lessons on this already. It is not an easy thing to do but the idea is that we are changing and learning for the investigators and not for ourselves. We are working hard so we can help, not so we can feel better about ourselves or our Spanish. Some missionaries are really struggling with the language but they are trying to learn each day and we are progressing everyday, setting higher goals and doing our best to achieve them. Doctrine and Covenants 31:3 (Lift up your heart and rejoice, for the hour of your mission is come; and your tongue shall be loosed, and you shall declare glad tidings of great joy unto this generation.) is a scripture that was shared with us that I think sums it up.

Other things- the food is fine. It is not the same as home, but I still enjoy it and there is plenty. Not to mention the freezer full of as much ice cream as we want to eat. I try to limit myself so my clothes will still fit when I leave. Getting in and out of buildings requires different codes that we were told. we have a classroom in I guess what you would call a basement, but it still has windows. This is where we spend the majority of our day. For me, time goes by pretty quickly each day, but this week has felt very long, as expected, as we overcome jet lag and adjusting to the new life as a missionary. We go to bed each night exhausted and wake up ready to face the next day. 

I love all of you and miss you, but I know I need to be focused on the work here and forget myself. Already I have been asked to give blessings of comfort as leader of the district. This means I have to be setting a good example in working hard myself and leaving home behind, even though sometimes I ache for home and familiarity. I encourage everyone to try each day to forget yourself a little and do something for someone else. We get the chance to watch the #Light The World videos each morning and we twist those to do things that we can here in the CCM-MTC.

I love you lots and can't wait to here from everyone.

Lots of love,

Elder Brighton

Popular posts from this blog

11-11-19

10-21-19

Week 40