Week 12

The evening of the last Pday we were walking along and found a lady taking in firewood by herself. We walked down the street and started to help her. After 45 minutes or so of working hard we had gotten it all in. It is hard to imagine her doing all of it by herself! But she is a strong woman and would have done it. her name is Patricia and she is about 65 years old. She lives in that house alone with one of her sons who is 20 and has downs syndrome. He is relatively high functioning. I really enjoyed doing that service and it was great to see a job done from start to finish.  We had a lesson with her that went well and we taught the restoration. We'll visit her again! Just writing about the experience makes me excited to be a missionary! Service is the best way to show people we really care, and we always offer it and do what we can. I invite you guys to do the same and look for service around you in the house or with your friends, and of course always invite your friends to learn more and maybe even meet with the missionaries.

We had a visit from Elder Christofferson on Saturday!! The whole mission was there, including those who had to fly in from the further regions. We had a pair of missionaries stay the might with us on Friday from a zone further North, then we left on a bus at 5:40 am to go south to have the conference at 10 am. It was an awesome experience and fun to see so many missionaries in one place even though I don't know very many of them.

A topic they discussed was the importance of the Sacrament, and how we need to be thinking of the Savior during this time and really focusing on what it means to us. Helping the members and investigators to come to the chapel each Sunday is something we need to be focusing on each day of the week because the Sacrament is so important.

Sister Christofferson shared a story from the Old Testament in 2 Kings 4:1-7. The Lord will give us all of the blessings we are willing and ready to receive. Do we have faith in this? More importantly, what are we ready to receive? Being submersed in the scriptures teaches us the language of the scriptures.

I enjoyed the way Elder Christofferson taught and answered questions a lot. First sharing a scripture that gave the answer, then explaining very clearly, plainly, and always simply. I love how simple the Gospel truly is.

Missionaries are here to help people receive the Celestial Kingdom. we can do nothing to help them receive the other kingdoms. That was an interesting point he made after receiving  a question and I believe it is true. We need to be living in a way to receive this Kingdom as well.

He taught and shared so much more, but the point most important is that we are doing the work of the Lord and not for ourselves. The mission is the the time to give all to help others. I'm trying to do this!

I'll be changing a little this week. I will stay here in Estanque, Valdivia- but my companion is going to Rio de la mano in Punta Arenas! So I'll be getting a new companion. I'm grateful for all Elder Azeredo has taught me and I look forward to what more I can learn and how I can improve as a missionary.

Love,

Elder Brighton

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11-11-19

10-21-19

Week 40