Week 31

I made it here to my new sector in Osorno without any problems. I got the chance to say goodbye to some of the members and investigators in Estanque before I left and I felt at peace that I had helped the ward and investigators there. Although we didn't have any baptisms, I did a lot of small good things that I know have helped that Sector and the people there. Now I have the chance to do good here in Las Vegas!

I am happy to be with Elder Azeredo again. I have changed so much since my first cambio in the mission that it is almost like having a new companion anyways. We are both excited for the work here and are going to work hard to have baptisms this month and cambio to help contribute to the mission´s goal of 80 baptisms each month. He is a very loving and kind elder that really cares about the people here. He understands the scriptures well and I look forward to all that i will learn from him in our time together again. Maybe I'll pick up on a little Portuguese, but right now the focus will be Creole.

The sector here is basically the opposite from where i was before. Most of the streets off of the main roads that go back to houses are not paved and the people live humble lives. The sector is small and so is the ward. 45 assisted yesterday. It is a ward composed of mostly older people with lots of widows, but few youth. 

We have a few Haitians that we are teaching and some with a baptismal date set. They speak so little Spanish often though, that it is hard to teach super well. I need to get serious about studying and learning their language better so I can help them. 

The place we live here is an actual house and it is awesome. There is a lot of space inside, and we even have a small fenced off side yard, a little shed, then a tiny front yard. I hope to be able to do a little landscaping here overtime because it has been neglected for a long time and I love doing that kind of work. We'll see what willpower and a pair of scissors can do.... We heat our house with a wood burning stove like everyone else here. It's quite the difference from home, but it is a new experience and fun. It works great and we are comfortable.

Let me know if you have anymore specific questions but hopefully that covers the basics. We are about 10-15 minutes in car from the mission home, mission office, and downtown Osorno.

Now an experience we had earlier this week. It was about 9 o'clock at night and we were doing a few last contacts before it was time to back to the house at 9:30. We shouted at one house like we do hear since everyone normally has gates and you can't knock, and a lady came out to talk to us. She let us go in and we talked for a bit. She had talked with missionaries about 10 years ago the lost contact when she moved a few times. She is actually some kind of family to the bishop here and lives with her husband and 3 children. I believe her family has real potential. I offered to chop firewood for her and she actually said yes so I went back the next day to do that for a bit. We have an appointment set up to teach later this week. I believe she has real potential and I hope we can help her and her family progress! We'll see what happens.

I'm not sure if you guys are aware or if I've told you but the missionary schedule changed about a year ago. It is now more flexible and we can make it adapt to fit our needs and circumstances. Goes to show how much the Lord trusts us and that the time is coming soon when Christ will come to reign again.

Happy 4th of July to all! In the spirit of this holiday I invite you all to read Alma 10:6. Noticed that scripture a few weeks ago and now it really applies on Wednesday;)

But also remember what the Book of Mormon says in 1 Nephi 13 about the Lord's hand in the establishment of the United States of America. and 2 Nephi 10: 9-16 talks about America as the chosen land. Be grateful for the wonderful country God has given us and the chance we have to be an example for and help other countries!

Anyways, I love you guys lot. I am doing well here and I hope all is swell there:)

Lots of love,

Elder Brighton



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11-11-19

10-21-19

Week 40